In Times Of Crisis, Sales Professionals Double Down On Their PurposeMay 10, 2020
“Having a sense of purpose is having a sense of self. A course to plot is a destination to hope for.”
Bryant H. McGill
As humans we're wired to seek out meaning and purpose in our lives.
I'm a firm believer that having a purpose matters more now than ever before. A sales professional thrives on being a part of a purpose. They live for becoming part of something that really matters, something that really makes a difference to the lives of their clients, their marketplace and their community.
What’s your "endgame" in sales? Is it to make a sale, collect a check or to make a difference?
Today’s selling environment is turbulent and full of turmoil. It's much more challenging and complex than ever before.
In troublesome and tremendous times, sales professionals ask themselves...
- Does my purpose still matter?
- Do I still believe in me like I did before?
In chapter 6 of, Selling From the Heart, I speak to Servant Led Sales Leadership. In a business world where many in sales are viewed with negativity, an authentic, real-deal approach is a breath of fresh air.
- A servant led professional has an authentic desire to serve
- A servant led professional is all in
- A servant led professional is focused on serving the needs of the person sitting in front of them
In times of crisis, sales professionals double down on their purpose and recommit to serving.
They understand they must deliver tangible results with purpose and meaning, not sales crapola.
"Creating your sales purpose not only transforms sales effectiveness, it provides insulation from the price hammer."
Do you believe what you do matters? If so, then it's up to you to make it happen.
Sales professionals who lead with purpose stand out from the sales sea of mediocrity and empty suits. They make a difference. They care. They are committed.
- They are engaged at all levels in their client's business.
- They invest the time to learn about the client’s business.
- They are in it for the long-term.
- They are difference-makers and their clients know it.
- They are woven into the corporate DNA of client's business.
"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards."
BET ON YOUR PURPOSE
Having a sense of purpose is essential to your well-being. It's equally important to have a sense of purpose in your career. A sales professional continually searches and finds their sense of purpose as circumstances change.
Those with a sense of purpose in sales are passionate, they create change and they're committed. They're completely focused on serving their clients.
They ask themselves purposeful questions such as:
- What problems do my clients encounter? How can I help them solve them?
- How can I become more effective to better help my clients to succeed?
- What am I contributing to my clients to help them do better business?
- Am I making a difference in client's business lives?
Results don't inspire sales professional's, a sense of purpose does
When we seek to serve others then what we do is never finished. The purpose always pulls us.
A PURPOSEFUL PLAN
"Accountability is the glue that ties commitment to results"
In turbulent times, purpose driven professional's double-down on their business plan.
They commit to overachieving. They make a commitment to themselves, their company and their family.
- This plan increases their awareness within their marketplace.
- This plan has them involved and participating in community events.
- This plan has them obtaining referrals from current clients.
- This plan has them continually learning about their client's business.
- This plan has them continually learning about themselves
Leaders cast vision. They're visionaries. They're purposeful, have a plan and lead from the heart.
Nobody exemplified this more than Walt Disney.
In chapter 3, "Lead Like Walt" by Pat Williams,
"Leadership requires that we communicate our vision in a powerful, persuasive, memorable way"
Walt Disney turned his visions into reality through the power of communication.
My question to you...
Are you communicating your purpose, your vision and your plan?
LIFE IS TOO SHORT
You deserve a career where you have a sense of purpose and a plan. Sales professionals don't leave it up to their company or their management team. It is up to you to define what you do with your sales career.
- Know what motivates you
- Find a mentor or a business coach
- Self-reflect and crave self-improvement
Without a sense of purpose, you're likely to wander, flounder and stumble your way through sales, with consistently inconsistent results.
Purpose allows you to:
- Make better choices
- See clearly through the harder times
- See all the opportunities to grow and learn
I'd ask all of you right now, do you believe what you do matters? If so, then it's up to you to make it happen.
I understand, I get where you all are coming from. Every day, I walk in your shoes. I am fully committed to helping your sales team integrate social aspects and heartfelt strategies into your current sales process to grow new business. I want you to get results. This is why I am passionate about doing this the right way, the genuine way, the authentic way! It's about understanding value before visibility.
Selling From the Heart is making a difference! I poured my heart into every page of this book and I think you're going to love it. You can find it on Amazon in paperback, kindle and in audio. You can click on the book image below and this will take you to Amazon.
You can find more material inside Selling From The Heart.
In a world full of empty suits, I'm passionate about helping sales reps succeed by getting valuable before they get visible. I help sales teams understand the true value they bring to the market.
I appreciate getting the opportunity to share my stories. Integrating the use of social and sharing my story on LinkedIn was my “game-changer” in the highly competitive office technology world. With great pride I transform, challenge, coach and inspire sales teams to grow new business by helping them share their story and how they communicate it out by integrating the use of social inside the sales process. You can follow me on LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook and on my podcast by clicking on Selling from the Heart.